I only LOOK like I'm sleeping

Long accused of being narcaleptic, I'm secretly gathering all the information I need to take over the world!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Continuing Theme

Work has been crazy. And tomorrow I'm going out of town for a few days, but I really intend on keeping this up.

Over time people will likely get sick to death of this subject, but who cares. This is for me, not you.

Dads. I'd like to say everyone has one. Unfortunately, there are millions of people who do not. We all have someone who gave their genetic material to help form us. However, genetic material donation does not a dad make. I don't have a dad. I have several people that have served in some dad capacity at one point or another in my life. I am EXTREMELY grateful I have those people. But there is not one man person I have that wonderful life long father-daughter bond with. This is okay with me. I know I am missing something I can never have, but I'm not going to wallow in sorrow about it. Life is too short for that nonsense. Enjoy your moments when you get them and move on.

What I would like to say is this:
If you have a dad. Appreciate him. He is the only one you are going to get. Be there for him and with him. Cherish the times you have had, and make new memories every chance you get. I say this because I believe there are a number of little girls (and boys) who take their dads for granted. I was painfully reminded of this on Father's Day. There is a fellow who is a very important surrogate dad in my life. He also has a daughter. He is one of those dads who would leave work early to go to her softball games, was always there for every school talent show. He adores his little girl. I don't think she saw him on Father's Day this year. She called (I know because he was with me at breakfast when she did), but wasn't likely to see him because she was moving. And not moving to different towns, she had been moving all week, to a house just down the street. And she only lives 20 minutes from her dad. I don't get it. I just don't feel like moving is a good excuse not to spend a little time with your dad on Father's Day. But then, who am I to say how a person should treat their dad.

I have an opinion that most people have their priorities all screwed up. I'm talking about choosing to do chores instead of spending time with your family or friends (or moving instead of seeing your dad on Father's Day). Yes, I agree that laundry needs to get done. But when you are a lonely old person, are you going to miss doing that load of laundry or going out to eat with your friends? Got too many commitments to make one more? Too many people don't have people who want to spend time with them. Make yourself a little uncomfortable and be with your people! While I get TIRED of running around on weekends, not spending time at home, always being on the go, I know I will look back on my life and be certain I was available to my people. I enjoyed them, and hopefully they enjoyed me.

We are only in this life once, make the decision to make the most of it.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Ginamonster said…

    sigh. I was trying the other day, to pinpoint when she stopped appriciating her wonderful parents.

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger Neoma said…

    I agree. I didn't have an active, working father either. I got my chin from my Dad, and my name, and then he split, he died yesterday.......I hadn't seen him in 26 years. Now I won't ever see him again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home