I only LOOK like I'm sleeping

Long accused of being narcaleptic, I'm secretly gathering all the information I need to take over the world!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My Dream of You

I wrote this last year. I found it today and it made me cry.

March 24, 2007

My Dream of You

I’ve been dreaming of you since before you were born. I can’t remember a time I didn’t know you and I would be together. When I see mothers with their children, I imagine the days you and I will spend walking hand-in-hand together. I love how our eyes light up at the sight of one another. Is it possible that you love me as much as I love you?

We go to the beach, running out with the tide, scrambling back to the sand with the water lapping at our heels. We squeal with delight when the cold water catches us, quickly surrounding our ankles and just as quickly rushing out again. We perform this dance with the water again and again. When we tire, we lay in the hot sand, rejoicing in the feel of the heat coming from the earth.

Watching butterflies is one of our favorite past-times. We observe them as they rest on the plants and flowers in our back yard. If we are very still and quiet, they might rest on us. But we never touch them because we don’t want to hurt them. If we are lucky we may see the butterfly again.

It’s springtime and we decide to plant a garden. We choose tomatoes, carrots, zucchini and lettuce. We rake the ground and dig little holes to place the seeds in. Sometimes when we are digging, we find earthworms and we know that this is a good place to plant our garden. We take turns watering the ground. Sometimes we water each other. In a short time, small, green stems rise from the ground. Day by day they grow bigger and taller. We are proud of our garden, and the vegetables taste good.

On rainy days, we stay inside and draw or paint or do crafts. We enjoy crafts of all sorts. Sometimes we play games or do puzzles. Maybe we will play dress up and make believe all day. Or we sing and dance to our favorite music. Of course, we don’t need rainy days to do these things!

At night, when it is time for sleep, we tell each other about our day. We read or make up stories for one another. The stories are often about our hopes and dreams. Now that you are young, I am the person you tell your secrets to, but I know that will not last forever.

As you grow, I try to give you the room you need to become who you are meant to be. We still share secrets and have private jokes that send us into fits of giggles. But you will have other secrets too, ones you only share with your friends. You are smart and funny and full of love for others. I am proud of who you have become. At times I feel like my heart will burst with love and pride.

One day you move out of our home to make a home of your own. You may get married, and you may have children (I hope you do!). What ever you do, you will do it well. You will be happy. Gradually, I become less like your mother and more like your friend and I realize my best dream has come true.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home